Don’t let the name fool you, beurre blanc is just a white wine sauce. It’s not as scary as you think and once you make it you will wonder why you haven’t been making it all along. This is also a great excuse to open a bottle of wine, not that you need any.
Now I love seafood! I can eat it daily. My hubby on the other hand, had to be slowly introduced to seafood. Not that you would know it now, lol. One of the easiest ways to get someone to eat fish is by starting them off with something mild like cod. Give it a little crunch, add an awesome sauce and you will have create a monster like I did.
Bonus is that this is such a quick dish you can make it anytime, but it is elegant enough for a sweet date night.
Baked Cod with Beurre blancPanko crusted cod with white wine butter sauce
- 1 1/2 pound Cod
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp old bay
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup white wine, I used sauvingon blanc today pinot grigio, chardonnay ok too
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp shallot
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 6-8 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley chives works nice too!
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 convection bake or 400 conventional. Clean and portion your cod, about 4-6 ounce pieces. Place on lined sheet tray and season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl combine, panko, lemon zest, old bay, parsley and melted butter.
- Top Cod with bread crumb mixture and bake 15-20 minutes.
- While your fish is baking… In a medium saute pan over medium high heat add your wine, shallot, lemon juice and cracked black pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce by half, about 8-10 minutes
- Take off of the heat, and add cold butter while. You can whisk it in, but I like to swirl the pan to incorporate.
- Add heavy cream and a salt to taste.
- you can strain the sauce, then add parsley or just add parlsey and serve over your fish.
- Remove your fish from the oven, making sure not to over cook.
- Serve with rice, roasted veggies, potato wedges, a side salad…